Anyone familiar with driving in the Chicago area, will have had more than one encounter with a driver who has left a turn signal on for blocks—or miles—giving no indication of when he/she will really turn. And while she can’t do anything about Chicago driving habits, on September 26th, United Country Western Dance Council (UCWDC) Champion Brittney Valdez will guide West Coast Swing (WCS) dances through ways to improve their turns on the dance floor.
“We’ll approach the class with the idea of not indicating to our partner of our intent to turn, until it’s actually time,” Brittney says. “We’ll also give some ways to improve your posture and balance in a turn, to keep you gliding across the dance floor like an ice skater.”
For the evening, Brittney’s lessons will cover:
- For the novice-level lesson – West Coast Swing 101 – Get the basics to get you on the floor as a first-time dancer; or enhance your basics and keep your WCS foundation solid.
- For the intermediate-level (and above) lesson – Using Your Turn Signal(s) – Don’t leave your blinker on too long—learn techniques to improve your turns for a smoother partnership
“I hope those of you who went to St. Louis last week are past that Swungover feeling, and will accompany me on this wonderful journey to start the evening,” Brittney says. “I’m stoked for an evening spent with the many familiar and new faces in Chicago area who are as passionate about WCS as I am.”
Learn more about Brittney. Then, make plans to join us this week with Brittney teaching the lessons, great music spun by house DJ April Princeand lots of dancing with your friends in the WCS community.
The cost for the night:
- $6 cover charge (for entry to WCW/Downers Sand Club Sports Bar & Grill and open dancing from 8:30 – 11:30 p.m.)
- $5 for the novice West Coast Swing lesson (7:00 – 7:45 p.m.)
- $5 for the intermediate West Coast Swing lesson (7:45 – 8:30 p.m.)
Email us if you have any questions.